This is a common problem that homeowners with stone floors are facing.
It can be hard work to keep your stone floor looking like new.
If you’re trying to keep your stone floor clean, these expert tips will help you to keep your stone floors clean
1. Know Your Stone
One of the most important tips to help you keep your floor looking like new is to educate yourself about looking after your stone floor.
If you are having a new floor installed, or if you have an existing floor, you need to identify the kind of stone you have. Now you can go online, contact stone retailers and get a clear understanding of the stone. Here are some simple characteristics of popular stone and tile products that you may not be aware of.
Do you know how to mop a tile floor?
Grubby stone floors make your home feel yucky. If you are like most people, you won’t have put much thought into whether your stone floor cleaning is contributing to the problem.
Mopping stone floors, yes, I agree not an exciting subject. That is until your beautiful stone tile floor just doesn’t seem to come clean, and always looks dull and grimy.
Are You Mopping Your Stone Floors This Way?
If you’re like most people, here’s how you clean your floor.
- You start, by filling a bucket with hot water and your personal mopping solution.
- You grab your mop! A classic cotton or synthetic kind is still the most popular, so this is what you use.
- Next, you dip your mop into the cleaner and wring it as best as you can so it is not too wet.
- Then you mop it over part of the floor.
- Then you rinse your mop in the cleaner, wring it out and mop some more floor.
But here’s the key.
Each time you wring the mop, the cleaner is getting dirtier and dirtier. As you mop, you’re just putting the dirty water right back down!
It’s not your fault; it’s just the way with buckets and cotton mops.
A standard cotton mop works on the principle of the fibres soaking up the dirty water. But when it gets wet, it’s ability to soak up more dirty water is reduced considerably.
How To Mop A Floor Correctly
Before you start mopping your floor, you need to use the right equipment, starting with your mop.
There are many options on the market today including:
- mop and double bucket (one for the cleaner, one for the rinse water)
- electric steam mops
- electric mini orbital mop
- robot mops
However having tested of them, I always come back to one option, a microfiber flat mop.
A microfiber of mop is